The FACES for the Future, Albuquerque program is a partnership between Native American Community Academy, South Valley Academy, Health Leadership High School and several health agencies in Albuquerque. The program officially launched in Fall of 2017. The FACES Albuquerque program provides a multi-year healthcare internship and leadership development program for Native American Community Academy, South Valley Academy, and Health Leadership High School students. The program will support entry into healthcare professions through internships, workshops, academic support, college preparation and wellness support.
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations with local healthcare and community-based agencies.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Internship Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive Workshops and Field Trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
- Health careers preparatory curriculum, covering topics such as HIPAA, ethics and confidentiality, safety, and professionalism.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
- A Psychosocial Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Ongoing case management, psycho-social referrals to appropriate services when appropriate.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods.
Ruben Miranda, Program Coordinator
Ruben Miranda is the Program Coordinator for FACES in Albuquerque, NM. His previous work includes working for the TRiO Student Support Services program at Everett Community College and for Summer Search, a youth development program in Seattle, Washington. Outside of work, he can be found in a book or daydreaming about the next draft of his novel in progress. Ruben is an alumnus of DePaul University and the University of New Mexico’s Creative Writing MFA. He is passionate about supporting youth on their path to becoming their best selves. He is looking forward to working with everyone contributing to the success of the FACES for the Future Coalition.
FACES for the Future, Albuquerque
Phone: (505) 463-0240