The FACES for the Future Sacramento program includes both Arthur A. Benjamin Health Professions High School and Hiram Johnson High School in Sacramento. The program launched Fall of 2016 in partnership with the FACES for the Future Coalition. The FACES program provides a multi-year healthcare internship and leadership development program for its students and supports entry into healthcare professions through internships, workshops, academic support, college preparation and wellness support.
FACES Sacramento partners include and have included Dignity Health (Mercy San Juan Medical) Center, SANE (Safer Alternatives through Networking and Education), Latino Coalition for a Healthy California, Sacramento Peers on Prevention, Capital Physical Therapy, Campus Commons Physical Therapy, Food Literacy Center, Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services, Sacramento Epidemiology, Kubo Optometry, My Sister’s House, Golden Pond Assisted Living Community, Dr. Cam Dental and Surfside Kids Dental.
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations with local healthcare and community-based agencies.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Internship Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive Workshops and Field Trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
- Health careers preparatory curriculum at HPHS, covering topics such as HIPAA, ethics and confidentiality, safety, and professionalism.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
- A Psychosocial Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Ongoing case management, psycho-social referrals to appropriate services when appropriate.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods
Karina De Leon Montes, Program Coordinator
Karina is the Program Coordinator for FACES for the Future in Sacramento. Karina graduated with a BA in Psychology from the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is passionate about supporting her community and is excited to continue this work with FACES. Karina is also a bilingual Mental Health First Aid instructor at Cypress Resilience Project.
Karina De Leon Montes