The FACES for the Future Denver Program is a partnership between Manual High School, Denver Public Schools, and the Denver Health System. The program officially launched in Fall of 2017. The FACES Denver program provides a multi-year healthcare internship and leadership development program for Manual High School students. The program will support entry into healthcare professions through internships, workshops, academic support, college preparation and wellness support.
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations with local healthcare and community-based agencies.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Internship Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive Workshops and Field Trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
- Health careers preparatory curriculum, covering topics such as HIPAA, ethics and confidentiality, safety, and professionalism.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
- A Psychosocial Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Ongoing case management, psycho-social referrals to appropriate services when appropriate.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods.
Shiree Edwards – Program Coordinator, Manual High School
Shiree Edwards is the Program Manager of FACES for the Future program in Colorado at Denver Health and Hospital Authority. Shiree is a graduate from the University of Central Oklahoma, where she received a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelors of Science in Forensic Science.
After graduation Shiree began her career in Oklahoma City as a social worker in Child Welfare for the Oklahoma Department of Human Services where she served families for nearly four years. Later, Shiree transitioned to Denver as a social caseworker on the Emergency Response Team for Denver Human Services in Child Welfare where she partnered with medical staff and law enforcement during investigations concerning child abuse and neglect.
While working for Denver Human Services, Shiree received the 5281 award for Teamwork by the mayor of Denver. Shiree prides herself in her ability to work effectively with various adult and children populations and is passionate about serving others. Shiree thoroughly enjoys working with youth and has experience working with underrepresented teens in legal situations. Shiree has always been fervent about social issues and is looking forward to working with resilient youth who are interested in the medical field by mentoring and advocating for them through the FACES for the Future Program.
FACES for the Future, Denver
(303) 602-5157, Shiree.Edwards@dhha.org