Established in 2007, the FACES for the Future at St. Rose Hospital program (FACES St. Rose), located in Hayward, CA, is a two-year program which motivates and prepares underrepresented youth for entry into careers in all areas of the health professions. Partnering with the Eden Area Regional Occupations Program in Hayward, FACES provides high school students with unique opportunities to learn from healthcare professionals in various hospital settings and explore career options in the health professions. Additionally, students benefit from academic enrichment opportunities, including individualized tutoring and college preparation activities, leadership training, and multi-faceted psychosocial support services, including one-on-one case management. The program also provides support to alumni by assisting them with job/internship placements, academic/career guidance and ongoing life coaching.
Our proven leadership methods encourage students to meet their achievement goals beginning in high school. FACES St. Rose students are able to put “principals into practice” by becoming involved in community events throughout the county that promote healthy lifestyles and positive social change.
Health Careers Exploration
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations at St. Rose Hospital in a wide range of departments.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Rotation Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive workshops and field trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
Academic Support and Enrichment
- Health careers preparatory curriculum at Eden Area Regional Occupation Program, covering topics such as clinical skills, ethics and confidentiality, hospital safety, infection control/Standard Precautions, communication skills, legal considerations, medical terminology.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College tours and partnerships with local colleges to place students in college-based programs and college preparation workshops.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
Wellness Support and Psycho-Social Intervention
- A Psycho-social Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Licensed Family Therapists and Licensed Social Workers who provide ongoing case management and referrals when needed.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
Youth Leadership Development
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods.
- Volunteerism at health fairs and other community events.
Dayan Zakrzewski, Program Coordinator
Dayan Zakrzewski is the Program Coordinator for FACES for the Future in Alameda County. Dayan graduated from the University of California, Irvine with a bachelor’s in Public Health Science. Afterwards, she pursued a career in the medical field as a behavioral therapist and clinical medical assistant in Urgent Care and Dermatology. During her free time, she volunteers at her community’s local crisis center and as a humanitarian aid in Nicaragua, Poland, and Ukraine. Dayan values the importance of mentorship, compassion and lifelong learning and hopes to support students in finding their own passions and pursuing their dreams. Dayan enjoys walking dogs, enjoying new foods with friends and hiking.