Established in 2007, the FACES for the Future at St. Rose Hospital program (FACES St. Rose), located in Hayward, CA, is a two-year program which motivates and prepares underrepresented youth for entry into careers in all areas of the health professions. Partnering with the Eden Area Regional Occupations Program in Hayward, FACES provides high school students with unique opportunities to learn from healthcare professionals in various hospital settings and explore career options in the health professions. Additionally, students benefit from academic enrichment opportunities, including individualized tutoring and college preparation activities, leadership training, and multi-faceted psychosocial support services, including one-on-one case management. The program also provides support to alumni by assisting them with job/internship placements, academic/career guidance and ongoing life coaching.
FACES St. Rose reaches out to socio-economically, disadvantaged youth in Southern Alameda County who are at risk for dropping out of high school and who have been exposed to poverty, violence, family dysfunction, language and cultural barriers. Our proven leadership methods encourage students to meet their achievement goals beginning in high school. FACES St. Rose students are able to put “principals into practice” by becoming involved in community events throughout the county that promote healthy lifestyles and positive social change.
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations at St. Rose Hospital in a wide range of departments.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Rotation Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive workshops and field trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
- Health careers preparatory curriculum at Eden Area Regional Occupation Program, covering topics such as clinical skills, ethics and confidentiality, hospital safety, infection control/Standard Precautions, communication skills, legal considerations, medical terminology.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College tours and partnerships with local colleges to place students in college-based programs and college preparation workshops.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
- A Psycho-social Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Licensed Family Therapists and Licensed Social Workers who provide ongoing case management and referrals when needed.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods.
- Volunteerism at health fairs and other community events.
Andrew Cheng – Program Coordinator
Andrew Cheng is the Program Coordinator for the FACES for the Future program at St. Rose Hospital in Hayward, California. He is a Bay Area native, born and raised in Oakland. Andrew obtained his Bachelor of Science in Health Science from San Jose State University (SJSU) in 2007 and went on to obtain his Master of Public Health from SJSU in 2015.
Andrew has over a decade of experience working with underserved and underrepresented youth in the Bay Area, beginning as an academic advisor and tutor and then as a high school coach in the Oakland Unified School District. He has also been active internationally as well, having volunteered his time in the small town of Arrazola in Oaxaca, Mexico doing community health outreach and education projects that included assisting local hospital clinics, coordinating and hosting health fairs, and presenting to the local schools on health related topics.
Andrew has a deep rooted passion for working with youth, finding the potential in every individual, and empowering those within his community. As the FACES Program Coordinator, he will have the opportunity to blend his joy of working with youth with his diverse background in the health field.
Andrew Cheng, Program Coordinator
FACES for the Future
St. Rose Hospital
27200 Calaroga Ave.
Hayward, CA 94545
Phone: (510) 264-4103