The FACES for the Future Sacramento Program is based at the Arthur A. Benjamin Health Professions High School in Sacramento, a healthcare themed school that offers a challenging & relevant high school experience focused on preparing students for college and career. The program is scheduled to officially launch in Fall 2016 in partnership with the FACES for the Future Coalition. The FACES program provides a multi-year healthcare internship and leadership development program for HPHS students. The program will support entry into healthcare professions through internships, workshops, academic support, college preparation and wellness support. FACES Sacramento will serve socioeconomically, disadvantaged youth in Sacramento who are at risk for school attrition and who have been exposed to life challenges, including poverty, violence, family dysfunction, language and cultural barriers.
- Clinical and non-clinical rotations with local healthcare and community-based agencies.
- Exposure to one-on-one relationships with Internship Supervisors who provide support, guidance and hands-on training.
- Interactive Workshops and Field Trips designed to further immerse students in the health professions.
- Interaction with health professionals who regularly present during classroom workshops to enhance healthcare preparatory curricula.
- Health careers preparatory curriculum at HPHS, covering topics such as HIPAA, ethics and confidentiality, safety, and professionalism.
- Individualized academic and career support to high school students via one-on-one advising and tutoring.
- College pathways support in helping search for college, apply and receive financial aid.
- A Psychosocial Program focusing on counseling and education.
- Ongoing case management, psycho-social referrals to appropriate services when appropriate.
- Individualized Life Coaching and academic plans.
- Strong commitment to engaging parents and families in all aspects of the FACES program via parent meetings and phone conferences.
- Regular personal growth workshops focused on experiential learning about self-advocacy, assertive communication, healthy and unhealthy relationships, stress management, and other relevant topics.
- Team building activities and support experiences.
- Working with and supporting youth to seek out leadership opportunities in FACES as well as their schools and neighborhoods.
Alice Curchin, Program Coordinator
Alice Curchin is the Program Coordinator for FACES for the Future Sacramento. Previously a HealthCorps Coordinator at Health Professions High School in Sacramento, she led in-school and community programming designed to foster physical and mental fitness. In this position she worked closely with the students, staff, and parents to inspire teens to make healthier choices for themselves and their families through classroom teaching and health fairs.
Before moving to Sacramento, Alice grew up in Vermont and attended Davidson College in North Carolina where she received her BA in Anthropology with a concentration in the Medical Humanities. A long-time advocate of social justice and health equality, her experience working with students is always to empower them to be advocates of change. She is committed to the Sacramento community and the educational and professional success of its youth.
Alice Curchin, Program Coordinator
FACES for the Future Coalition
555 12th Street, 10th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
Phone: (916) 475-5536